Full Charge Bookkeeper
Type of Job
About the job
The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position, along with the Executive Director and Finance Committee, will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position, along with the Executive Director and Finance Committee, will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities.
Each employee of Neighborhood House is expected to consistently display a pleasant, positive attitude toward co-workers, clients and volunteers and have a willingness to assume any other activity not specifically detailed in this job description, but which is sometimes required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
· Management and maintenance of the QuickBooks accounting system.
· Organize and maintain all of the agency’s contracts with State of Delaware, City of Wilmington, New Castle County and other sources of funding.
· Submit bills and reports for reimbursement as required in the Policies and Procedure Manual, or by the funding source
· Process and remit information to payroll service company on time.
· Assist the Executive Director in developing and implementing accounting policies and procedures.
· Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close.
· Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
· Assist in the daily banking requirements as outlined in the Policies and Procedure Manual.
· Ensure the accurate and timely payments of bills.
· Ensure the monthly and quarterly bank compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
· Collaborate with the other department managers to ensure compliance with department budgets.
· Work to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
· Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
· Meets accounting financial objectives by forecasting revenue and expenses; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
· Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
· Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills – Qualifications Summary:
Developing Budgets, Forecasting, Legal Compliance, Tracking Budget Expenses, SFAS Rules, Accounting, Managing Processes, Reporting Research Results, Coordination, Attention to Detail
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
5 or more years’ experience preferably with a non-profit agency.
Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines.
Ability to develop budgets and track budget expenses.
Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, forecasting, control, and reporting.
Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
Must be a team player.
A hands-on person with integrity and desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment.
An effective communicator with strong oral and written skills.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from the Board of Directors, co-workers, clients, customers and the general public.
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT and SOFTWARE:
Computer with internet and email capabilities, projection equipment, telephone skills, facsimile and photocopier knowledge. Knowledge of QuickBooks accounting system, Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
PHYSICAL and VISUAL ACTIVITIES:
Ability to interpret, evaluate and communicate detailed written or verbal instructions to others accurately and quickly, including answering telephones, attending meetings, written correspondences or other forms of communication.
Ability to communicate effectively (expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken or written word). This skill/ability is important in work activities in which workers must impart or receive detailed information through oral or written communication.
Ability to lift, push, pull or carry up to 15 pounds for the dissemination of documents, supplies, materials, etc. to various locations throughout the office/ facility.
Physical and visual activities that are commonly associated with the performance of the essential functions of this job. “Commonly associated” is not intended to mean always or only. There may be different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.
Dental, Life, Medical, Vision
Neighborhood House, Inc. is a multi-purpose non-profit community center with locations in South Wilmington and Middletown, Delaware. Founded in 1927, the center promotes community engagement and development. Our mission is to provide programs that educate, enlighten and empower people to improve their lives. This is accomplished by offering comprehensive services that include a Five Star Early Learning Center, Family Services and Crisis Alleviation, year-round Youth Development Programs, Comprehensive Housing Counseling that includes credit building and first time home buyer's support and foreclosure counseling. Our newest service to the community is The Neighborhood Empowerment Center (NEC) where we facilitate workforce development programs, credit building workshops and teach a variety of computer skills.
1218 B St, Wilmington, DE 19801, USA